Sunday, January 25, 2009

Elizabeth Alexander

I was ashamed to say, I hadn't heard of Elizabeth Alexander. I have kids, I am doomed to live outside the realm of current events until they move out. Not that they don't keep me informed. I knew about Brittney shaving her head almost before she did. I can tell you which has-been star is trapped in a jungle eating kangaroo testicles. And I can tell you Dieter Bohlen's latest insult that crushed a wanna-be-tone-deaf-singer. I cannot, however, tell you anything about Obama, much less the poet who received the honor of composing and reading the inaugural poem.
And so I Googled. Very impressive.
When the big day rolled around,

She began
to recite
her poem
entitled
Praise song
for
the
day.


I think
Elizabeth
Needs to work
on her
presentation
a tad more.
It was
a good poem
filled with
hope.
Perhaps
She should have
figured it out
at the kitchen table
a little while longer.

No comments: